A Map of Days - Ransom Riggs

The tales of Miss Peregrine and her peculiar children are my favourite novels out of all of the books I have read so far. It is a large claim, but it is true. Obviously, when I discovered that a new novel was to be added to the series, I was beyond excited and couldn’t wait to get stuck into it. I was skeptical though, since it seemed to be separate from the original trilogy and I didn’t want to be disappointed. There was no need for doubt since it ended up having the same adventure-based storyline and uniquely diverse set of characters with a whole new journey for them to embark on.



After the first three novels, Jake and his peculiarly talented friends had ultimately saved the peculiar world in Europe and it seemed that all of the problems had been solved. Or so I thought. In “A Map of Days”, Jake has returned to his home in America where a whole new adventure awaits him. The victory achieved by the children gives them a sense of independence and a yearning for freedom. In this novel it seems that they are portrayed more as teenagers rather than children which wouldn’t matter if it wasn’t for the stereotypical rebellious mood it brings. This makes the main motive behind their adventure spite and stubbornness which is not very attractive for the protagonists. 
It is difficult to pin a genre on the series because it incorporates paranormal talents, adventure, fantasy worlds, a little romance and a tangled mystery but all of this makes for an entertaining read that is gripping from start to finish. As with the other novels in the series, Ransom Riggs has incorporated vintage photographs into the story which adds depth and a unique feature. The story ended quite abruptly and usually I would be frustrated by this but instead, I am filled with anticipation because it leaves no doubt in my mind that there will be yet another book to add to Miss Peregrine’s peculiar children’s series.

Thank you for reading my blog.
~ Inkpot Blogger

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Monster Calls - Patrick Ness

Goodreads

The Beginning of my trip in EUROPE!