Girl, Missing - Sophie McKenzie

I was recommended this novel by a librarian based on my love for mysteries and at first I was unsure of whether I would like it. It turned out to be far better than I expected. Although the mystery of the novel wasn't mind boggling, it did give the reader a close connection to the characters and gave an insight into the life of one unfortunate girl. The main character goes through many conflicting emotions and the author has done well to express them efficiently without boring the reader. 


Lauren Matthews has always known she was adopted, but that is all that she knows. Her parents refuse to tell her anything else about where she came from. One day, eager to find out about her past, Lauren goes on a website called missing-Children.com, and finds an American girl named Martha Lauren Purditt, who went missing less than two months before Lauren was adopted. This seems like more of a coincidence until Lauren embarks on an adventure with her friend, Jam, and discovers that the story behind her adoption is more sinister than she had first thought.

I was expecting this novel to be a lot more cliche and shallow, but it wasn't. I must admit, the plot wasn't the most original or realistic, but it still made for a good story. The characters were well written and appropriate and the emotions were articulated in a way that that did not disrupt the storyline. A lot of events were crammed into the novel and several times I thought that the problem was about to be resolved when really it wasn't. This meant that I never wanted to put the book down! Considering this novel is supposed to be a thriller, it wasn't all that thrilling because the actual mystery was slow to unfold. There weren't really any major plot twists or shocking moments but in the end it was nicely resolved. Overall, this novel turned out much better than I had expected with great characters and a gripping plot line. I would recommend this novel to girls over twelve years old who enjoy mystery novels.


I hope that you found this review useful. I have also seen that this is the first novel in a series which I would consider reading more books from (if I had the time). Thank you for reading this post!
~Inkpot Blogger

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Monster Calls - Patrick Ness

Goodreads

The Beginning of my trip in EUROPE!