I Am Malala - Malala Yousafzai and Christina Lamb

This is actually the first biography that I have read and I really enjoyed it. Written by young education activist, Malala about life as a Pushtun living in a village in Pakistan. Although it wasn't written in a gripping style, the events told the story without fancy descriptions. What struck me most about this novel is how true it is. I now have a new understanding of how lucky I am to have peace in my country and freedom to get education. 


Malala grew up in the Swat Valley in Pakistan while the Taliban roamed the streets. Her school was shut down and women forced to stay inside. Her father were some of the few people who stood up for their religion and education rights. Malala was shot in the head by the Taliban on her way home from school. In this novel, Malala tells the story of her country and the life she endured living in Pakistan. 


I felt foolish not having known about the fighting in Pakistan. I knew that there was fighting, but I hadn't realised that it had been affecting so many people just like you and me. I am so lucky to have so much in my life. Malala lost her education, her freedom and almost her life. She felt the fear of having the Taliban patrolling outside her door and the military firing their guns from the streets. She almost died because of the poor medical services in her country.  This novel helps to bring more awareness of the political issues in Pakistan and how more needs to be done to help.


As far as the novel itself goes, some people would enjoy it and others wouldn't. There is a lot of talk about politics and leaders in Pakistan which didn't make much sense to me and the middle section of the book went on for a long time. As long as you are persistent, you will read through it relatively quickly. Overall, it was a fascinating autobiography and gave me a great interest in what is happening in other parts of the world. 


Thanks for reading this blog post and I hope that it has given you an insight into  the life of Malala. I would highly recommend reading I am Malala if you have an interest in non fiction novels. 

~Inkpot Blogger

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Monster Calls - Patrick Ness

Goodreads

The Beginning of my trip in EUROPE!