Shadow and Bone Trilogy Review


The creation of a fantasy world is no easy task, but the creation of an elaborate setting like the Grishaverse blows my mind. Leigh Bardugo has creativity and a talent which I really admire, I have been sucked into the world of her books and I can’t get enough. The first of her novels that I read was Six of Crows and it is still one of my favourites, so I had high hopes for this trilogy. It didn’t blow me away like I had hoped it would, however I still found it to be an amazing to read. 

The nation of Ravka has long been split in two by the Shadow Fold, a strip of intense darkness inhabited by dangerous beasts. Alina Starkov might be the only person capable of penetrating that darkness and saving her country. But she is merely an orphan, a refugee, another soldier in her regiment. It isn’t until her best friend is injured in an attack in the Shadow Fold that she reveals a dormant power within, a power which leads her to the royal court and the magical world of the Grisha. The fate of Ravka is resting on Alina’s shoulders, reliant on her untamed power and controlled by the mysterious Darkling.

 

I found the Shadow and Bone Trilogy to be an enjoyable read, the plot captured my attention and the fantasy world continued to amaze me. The Darkling formed a complex and unpredictable villain, keeping me on the edge of my seat and making the books hard to put down. I liked the quirks of the supporting characters however I found Alina and Mal and their relationship a little cliché. The idea of Alina being the unworthy hero didn’t quite feel realistic, however it did allow the readers to relate to her character more. The plot kept me interested throughout, but I found it simpler and with less layers than the Six of Crows duology that follows. Overall, I found Shadow and Bone and its following novels to be entertaining reads and I would recommend them to young adults who enjoy fantasy. For a more sophisticated read set in the same world but with more suspense and mystery, I would recommend Six of Crows and Crooked Kingdom.


An honest review by the Inkpot Blogger

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Monster Calls - Patrick Ness

Goodreads

The Beginning of my trip in EUROPE!