Red Queen - Victoria Aveyard

I have been told that this novel is just a copy of Divergent and other dystopian novels but I found it not so similar. The vague idea is the same, but once you actually read the novel, you will find it is not like Divergent at all. Red Queen was interesting and entertaining yet predictable and frustrating at times.


Mare Barrow has been cursed with red blood and lives in a town of fellow Reds. She steals to provide for her family while her sister basks in success at an apprenticeship. Those with silver blood rule over the reds with their special powers, sending them to fight the war and watch displays of Silver strength. Mare knows that she has only made things worse for her family, but when she meets a stranger on the streets, suddenly her world gets flipped around. Being a royal is not easy though, and power is a game in which no one can be trusted. 


(May contain vague spoilers) The storyline is entertaining and the idea is well mapped out. The plot goes very deep and the characters are developed nicely. Important themes such as equality and justice are explored in a futuristic world which is very insightful. Even though there is a lot about marriage, the is no real romance in the story. The only problem was how frustrated I was whilst reading it. The main character is so clueless and the whole time I was thinking "WHY IS SHE DOING THAT? OF COURSE THEY ARE LYING TO HER! WHY IS SHE SURPRISED THAT THEY BETRAYED HER?" Since I was so against every one of the character's moves, at the end when she finds herself in big trouble all I could think was, "I TOLD YOU SO!" Also, throughout the novel, the protagonist's goal is to get freedom and justice for her people but at the end of the novel, the only thing she ends up with is her own life. For this reason, I found that the resolution fell a bit short.


I'm sorry about my little rant, but that was genuinely how I felt about this novel. The ending left it open to be continued in the following novels of the series and one day, I might read the rest of them. In summary, Red Queen was an entertaining read, if a little cliche. The characters were a bit frustrating and the resolution was not very satisfying but overall it was worthwhile to read. If you like this sort of novel, the trilogy "Trylle" (Read my review here: https://thepenandinkpot.blogspot.com/2018/12/trylle-amanda-hocking.html) is very similar and dystopian novels such as "Divergent" and "State of Grace" (Read my review of State of Grace here: https://thepenandinkpot.blogspot.com/2018/08/state-of-grace-hilary-badger.html)
Thanks for reading my blog, please stick around and subscribe for email updates when I post. 

~Inkpot Blogger

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Monster Calls - Patrick Ness

Goodreads

The Beginning of my trip in EUROPE!