Reader on the 6.27 - Jean-Paul Didierlaurent

I have had this book on my shelf for a while and now that I've read it I wonder why I did not read it sooner. The Reader on the 6.27 is a french novel and a heartwarming read. With many quirky characters and some great concepts, this is a simple but enjoyable book.



Guylain Vignolles is drowning in the hollowness of his life. Working at a book pulping factory drains the life out of him and with only his pet goldfish to keep him company at home, there's not much for Guylain to live for. There is only one thing that brings him pleasure. Every morning on the boring commute to work on the 6.27 train, Guylain pulls out pages from his briefcase and begins to read aloud. These assorted pieces from a variety of books have been saved from the jaws of the the pulping machine and they bring both him and the travellers on the train the power of reading. One day, Guylain finds the diary of Julie, a woman just as lonely as he is. The lavatory attendant's fascinating story is read aloud on the train and Guylain is drawn to this woman and embarks on a journey to find her...


The Reader on the 6.27 is a novel that is neither gripping nor exciting but provides a story like no other. I was able to fall in love with every character and get sucked in to every moment described by Jean-Paul Didierlaurent. There are so many layers to the story with additional events and characters which contribute to make up the intricate life of the Guylain Vignolles. Although I would describe it as a love story, it is not the kind of teenage, cliche love story that I don't find enjoyable. Actually, the idea is very original and the overall plot is unique. This is definitely not a book for everyone, but readers who enjoy happy love stories and lighthearted romance novels would be the types for The Reader on the 6.27.



Every so often I need an easy read that I know I'll enjoy and this book fits the bill. I hope that this review was useful and interesting for you and that you will come back for a new post next week. Thanks!

~ Inkpot Blogger

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Monster Calls - Patrick Ness

Goodreads

The Beginning of my trip in EUROPE!