Adventures in Rome!

In this blog post I will be telling you about the best things to do when staying in Rome, Italy. This was the last destination during my trip in Europe. To hear about my adventures in London, Dublin and Paris check out the links in the side bar. Now here are some must-see places around Rome.

Of course, you have to see the Colosseum which is an iconic ruin of a stadium used for bullfights almost 2000 years ago. Also after you have been inside the Colosseum, there is an extra ticket that you can get that gains you entry into the Roman Forum. I found this more interesting than the Colosseum actually since it gave a lot more information on the history and culture of Ancient Rome. There were signs explaining the significance of the two thousand year old remains of the buildings that made up the centre of life in Rome and I found this fascinating. There were so many ruins my mind was blown. Up from the ruins there was a garden that had been made for the emperor and a lookout called Palatine Hill. Beyond that there were more and more ruins each with a story behind it. The grounds were huge and some of the buildings were huge. I would recommend visiting the Roman forum and setting aside a good amount of time for it too. 

If you are staying in Rome, another thing you must do is go to the Vatican. We went specifically to St Peter’s Basilica and the Vatican Museum. The line for the Basilica was very long but the inside was so magnificent it was worth the wait. The significance that the building has to the Catholic people and the Italian culture makes this an important place to visit. In the Vatican Museum, there were so many things to see. There were art works and sculptures collected by the popes of the past and there were rooms that had been the chambers of royalty. I gained a new perspective on the history of the Catholics and also got to see the famous Sistine Chapel. This chapel is covered in wall and ceiling paintings done by Michelangelo himself. One thing that made my visit to the Vatican Museum less enjoyable was the huge crowds inside the building. Huge tour groups of people blocked the paths and we were packed in so tight that walking pace slowed to a shuffle. Some of the paintings and works were difficult to see due to the amount of people, but I am still glad that I came and found the experience worth the difficulties.



In Rome, you have no excuse not to see the Pantheon. It is in the centre of the city and is free to enter. You can simply walk inside and see it. There is the famous dome roof with a circle of light in the centre looking towards the sky. There is and altar and amazing marble sculptures lining the walls. There isn’t much to do in the Pantheon, but it is a short trip and is beautiful inside.

Lastly, when I was in Rome I decided to get out of the main city and explore more local neighbourhoods. So we went across the river to a part of Rome called Travestere. I really enjoyed this because I got to see the gorgeous buildings that line the streets and enjoy the picturesque laneways and everyday people going about their lives. I would definitely recommend heading to a different part of town during your stay in Rome so that you can get a new perspective of the city.


I hope that you found this blog post interesting and enjoyed hearing about my adventures in Europe. I have one last tip for anyone who will be staying in Rome. If you go there, eat LOTS of gelato because it is so delicious and you can find it anywhere in Rome! Thanks for reading another blog post at The Pen and Inkpot. Come back next week for a new post!
~Inkpot Blogger


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Monster Calls - Patrick Ness

Goodreads

The Beginning of my trip in EUROPE!