Hollow City

Hollow City is the second book in the trilogy "Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children". In my opinion, this book is even better than the first book, "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children" because it was more of a mysterious book with Jacob uncovering his peculiarity more and more. I would also love to read it again because it was the kind of book with so many hidden clues leading to a surprising twist.
Before reading on, keep in mind that it may contain spoilers about the ending of the first book which I would recommend reading first. To read my review on it click on the link:http://thepenandinkpot.blogspot.com.au/2016_09_10_archive.html or click the 10th September 2016 in the blog archive.
 
It begins right off the end of "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children" where a group of children with peculiar talents are in a boat, escaping the wights, evil people who are trying to hunt them down and desperately trying to find help for their Headmistress, Miss Peregrine. But nearly all of the time loops in the world are gone, meaning that there is nowhere safe for them to go and no one left to help Miss Peregrine. In the desperate race against time to save Miss Peregrine, they get themselves in the most deadly twist. When everything they have been told has been built around keeping them safe, being out in the dangerous world makes them wonder whether they ever be safe again. 
 
Comparing "Hollow City" to "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children" is tricky because I think that they are both amazing and gripping books. Both books took only a few sitiings to read because they are so hard to put down. I found "Hollow City" especially gripping because it had the plot of a mystery book and as I read it, one twist came in after the other and I found myself eager to find out how it ended and whether everything worked out. Also, "Hollow City" continually followed the style of "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children" with its vintage style and photography. Beautiful black and white photos are dotted through the book to bring life and animation to the words written.
 
The storyline has traces of romance and violence but a lot milder language than the first book. (see link in paragraph 1 for review) I would still recommend it for readers of ages 12+ because there is a lot of fantasy that children need to understand isn't real and dark and scary scenes that got me on the edge of my seat. Also, as said in my first review on this series, Harry Potter fans would enjoy "Hollow City" simply for its fantasy and magic-like aspects.
 
Overall,if you loved "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children" then you have to read "Hollow City" and if you want to read "Hollow City" then you should read "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children" first. It was a gripping, worthwhile read and I am more ready than ever to begin reading the last book in the trilogy, "Library of Souls"
Thanks for reading my blog, please check out my blog and come back again soon for more blog posts, enjoy!
~Inkpot Blogger

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Monster Calls - Patrick Ness

Goodreads

The Beginning of my trip in EUROPE!